Advancing Sustainability Using ICT
The environmental issues we now face are believed to be the result of our social systems. Information and Communication Technology (ICT) has the potential to help us better understand, monitor in read-time, and reduce our impact on the environment. AITIS Lab, in the Department of Engineering Science, is committed to utilize the engineering expertise and research activity of its faculty to initiate innovative and sustainable graduate and undergraduate projects to educate future environmentally responsible and skilled engineers. We work with local industries and organizations to provide sustainable engineering solutions. Click here to learn more about our research activities and ongoing projects .....more; / Main Page. Checkout our Calendar of Events.
***** Follow this Blog for upcoming opportunities! ******
Design and Development of a Solar Power Monitoring System
The purpose of this project is to retrofit an existing off grid Solar System Power system with a wireless interface that will track system performance and provide historical performance data to better manage the utilization and future growth of power resources at the Fairfield Osborn. This is a continuing project and requires knowledge of wireless and micro-controllers. Our focus in this phase of the project is to add educational components to the monitoring system.
Here are a few things that we will specifically be focusing on:
- Making the pulling cycle changeable from the program
- Making the report time variable using a switch
- The LabView graphs should show the exact time
- Upload the data/email using modem
- Add the oil sensor
- Add email features
- Check the maintenance mode
- Add UPS
- When the system is in catch-up mode a software light should be blinking
- When the system in maintenance mode, the state must be shown in the archived data
- Create a two way communication between LabView and Zigbee
- Establish a larger wireless network.
Status: Phase I is completed
Sponsered: Sonoma Preserve